Product positioning is what makes your product or service unique and different, compared to other alternatives your target audience already knows. A focused, well-defined internal positioning can set your product on the path to success. Cohesive internal positioning is not only about product at your organization; it permeates everything you do.
This is a product positioning template that can help you design and define what makes your offering unique that you can easily share within your organization to get everyone on the same page.
This template originally comes from Positioning Your Startup is Vital — Here’s How to Nail It, by Arielle Jackson, formerly of Google and Square.
Before you begin
- Materials needed: Pens and paper
- Necessary people: Head of marketing, CEO
- Time: 30 minutes
- Show the template to your teammates and explain how it works
- Run through the below examples
- Have your team each fill in the blanks of the template in their own words by writing down their answers on a sheet of people. Give everyone 5 minutes to
- Go around and have each person share their positioning statement
- Collect each sheet of paper and write up the statements to share in your internal documentation system
- Combine your favorites part of each one of your team’s positioning statement, decide on a final statement, and share it internally with your organization